- Labial skin excess can result from childbirth or ageing process. The labia minora becomes floppy and protrudes significantly beyond the labia majora. This can result in discomfort and rash. It can be a source of embarrassment while wearing tight-fitting clothing.
- Labiaplasty is a surgical technique to fashion and remove excessive labial tissue. The procedure is usually done for aesthetic or functional purposes.
- A grading system for labia minora hypertrophy has been proposed by David and West (2008):
- None: The labia minora are concealed within or extend to the free edge of labia majora.
- Mild/Moderate: The labia minora extend 1-3 cm beyond the free edge of the labia majora.
- Severe: The labia minora extend >3 cm beyond the free edge of the labia majora.Labiaplasty (Labia rejuvenation or vaginal lip reduction) is a surgical technique to fashion and remove excessive labial tissue.
- According to a 2014 survey report by the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, there was a 49% increase in labiaplasty procedures done from 2013, making this one of the fastest growing cosmetic procedures”
|Techniques of Labiaplasty|
|Trim technique||Wedge technique||Z-Plasty technique||Deepithelialization technique|
|Advantages||Simplest, often preferred technique.||Maintain the natural mucosa and skin edge. Minimal scarring.||Variation of wedge technique. Maintain the natural mucosa and skin edge. Minimal scarring.||Nerve and lymphatic preservation|
|Disadvantages||Nerve end interruption||Potential damage to nerves along the edge of the removed wedge. Suitable for only minimal labial excess.||Suitable for only minimal labial excess.||Limited amount of tissue removed and risk of Recurrent labia hypertrophy|
|Clitoral Unhooding||Labia Majora Reduction||G-spot Augmentation||Monsplasty|
|Reduction of the tissue around clitoris to improved appearance and sensitivity||Resection of excessive labia majora tissue to provide a more harmonious result||Injection of fat grafting and fillers to the G Spot to enhance sensation||Wedge excision of mons to reduce volume. Can be done with labiaplasty or abdominoplasty.|
- Patient affected by rash and discomfort due to excessive labial tissue.
- Patient who requests enhancement of genital appearance
DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE
- Pre-operative markings to determine the amount of excessive labial minora tissue.
- Administration of sedation and local anaesthesia.
- Excision along free edge of labial minora to remove excessive labial tissue.
- Wound closure with absorbable sutures (no removal of sutures needed)
- Surgical duration : 1-2 hours.
- Home on the same day.
- General anaesthesia
- Combination of local and intravenous sedation
POST OPERATIVE CARE
- Medication : Oral and topical antibiotics, analgesics (pain relief), anti-swelling medication
- Sanitary padding for 2-3 days for residual discharge.
- Avoid activities that will exert pressure to the groin for 2-4 weeks.
- May resume sexual activity after 2 weeks.
- Follow up 2-4 weeks later.
RISK AND CAUTION
- Reduced sensitivity
After the consultation, our plastic surgeon will advise regarding the best technique for labiaplasty. He would also recommend if laser vaginal rejuvenation (tightening) or G-spot augmentation should be included since these are top choices for other patients.