- Cryolipolysis (Coolsculpting) by Zeltiq is a safe, effective and non-invasive treatment to reduce unwanted fat bulges by cold treatment.
- An applicator is applied to the targeted area causing cold injury to the fat cells. The injured fat cells are gradually resorbed and eliminated from your body over a period of 2-3 months.
- This treatment reduces the fat bulges slimming the body contour.
- The results are proven, noticeable, and long-lasting. Visible results can be seen from the first session.
MECHANISM OF CRYOLIPOLYSIS (COOLSCULPTING)
- The Cryolipolysis (Coolsculpting) applicator creates a vacuum to suck in the targeted fat bulge. Significant cooling occurs in the applicator chamber damaging the fat cells by crystallisation without affecting the surrounding tissue. This is because the fat cells are more easily damaged by cold temperature than the surrounding cells.
- The damaged fats cells are removed by the body starting from 2-4 weeks after treatment. This process is complete by 2-3 months.
WHO DEVELOPED CRYOLIPOLYSIS (COOLSCULPTING)?
- Dr Dieter Manstein, MD, PhD and R.Rox Anderson, MD of teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School and their team discovered “selective cryolysis” in which selective fat reduction without affecting adjacent tissue can be achieve via prolonged controlled cooling / energy extraction of targeted fats.
COMPARISON OF CRYOLIPOLYSIS (COOLSCULPTING) AND LIPOSUCTION
|Nature of Treatment||Non-invasive outpatient treatment||Invasive surgical technique done in operation room|
|Mechanism||Induce cold injury to unwanted fat cells by applying an external cooling device. The damaged fats cells are removed by the body starting from 2-4 weeks after treatment.||Mechanical disruption of fatty tissue and immediate removal by introduction of suction tubing in the skin layer.|
|After Effects||Temporary numbness, redness, soreness and bruising||Swelling, bruising and soreness.|
|Outcome||Injured fat cells are gradually resorbed by the body over 2-4 months.||Immediate reduction of fat volume.|
|Efficacy||Average 20% reduction of fat content per treated area.||May remove up to 2-3 times more fat in the treated area.|
|Cost||For massive fat excess which require multiple treatment sessions, the cost may approximate liposuction.||Generally higher cost|
|Suitable Candidate||Moderate localised areas of fat excess.||Moderate localised areas of fat excess.|
- Most patients are able to undergo Coolsculpting except for the rare few with poor cold tolerance.
DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE
- Pre-procedure marking of the treatment area.
- A gel pad and a suction applicator are applied to the treatment area.
- During cooling of the fat bulge, some patient may feel pulling, tugging, and/or mild pinching sensation for the first few minutes. Thereafter, they can read, check email, or even take a nap
- Each area takes 60 minutes to treat. (The new applicator, Cooladvantage takes 35 minutes)
- Anaesthesia is not required.
- CoolSculpting is virtually painless.
- Some people experience mild pain for which simple analgesics would suffice.
POST OPERATIVE CARE
- Immediately after the procedure, the treated area may feel stiff and numb. This resolves with a few minutes of massage.
- Bruising, swelling and tenderness tend to be transient.
- No downtime otherwise.
COMMON AFTER EFFECTS
- Temporary numbness
- Mild soreness and redness
- Mild bruising
- Other possible effects :
- Treated area may form darker skin colour, hardness, frostbite
- In rare cases, the treated area may result in an unwanted indentation
- This procedure is not Medisave or insurance claimable
During the consultation, Dr Ng would advise the best option for sculpting and slimming the body by Coolsculpting or liposuction. The top priority for the plastic surgeon is to plan the location and distribution of the Coolsculpting applicator on the treatment area for best outcome.